There’s nothing as refreshing in the summer as a cold drink or an ice cream. And when the weather is really hot, what’s better than stepping into a nice, cool room?
Air conditioners help make summer temperatures more bearable and are necessary for many homes. But how extensively do you know about air conditioners?
Here are some fascinating air conditioner facts about these cool appliances by Carney & Son 72 Degrees.
Cool Facts About AC
- The first air conditioner wasn’t designed for comfort: They were first used in the 1800s to help prevent the spread of disease. The first air conditioner was designed by a doctor, John Gorrie, who wanted to find a way to cool patients with malaria.
- Movie theaters used to be the coolest: Air conditioning was first installed in movie theaters in the early 1900s. Inventors did this to help keep the film from melting in the heat!
- Air conditioners can save your life: Studies have shown that air conditioners can help reduce the risk of heat-related deaths during a heatwave.
- An AC unit uses a lot of energy: A typical central air conditioner will use 3000 to 5000 watts of electricity to run. That’s about as much as it takes to power a clothes dryer!
- There’s a right and wrong way to use your AC: Running your air conditioner all day long is bad for your energy bill and health.
- They can cause mold: If your air conditioner is not properly maintained, it can become a breeding ground for mold and mildew.
- They can make you sick: If you are allergic to dust or mold, you may want to reconsider using an air conditioner.
- They can cause global warming: Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) are used as a coolant in many air conditioners. When these chemicals are emitted into the atmosphere, they deplete the ozone layer, which leads to global warming.
- It’s best to clean your air conditioner regularly: To keep it running efficiently, it’s important to clean it regularly. Depending on your home’s air conditioner, you may need to do this yourself or hire a professional.
Is AC Maintenance a DIY Job?
In a nutshell, no, AC maintenance is not a do-it-yourself job. While you can certainly clean the filter independently, other tasks, like checking and refilling refrigerant levels, require professional training and equipment. Additionally, many newer AC units have sealed systems that prevent homeowners from accessing internal components. Trying to repair or maintain these units alone could void the warranty.
Here’s How The Experts At Carney & Son 72 Degrees Can Help You!
We know that maintaining your AC unit can be challenging, which is why our team of experts is here to help. Carney & Son 72 Degrees offers various AC maintenance services in the Charleston area, including filter replacement, Freon recharge, HVAC system tune-ups, and much more.