Summer in Charleston, SC can get very hot and humid; therefore, you rely greatly on your air conditioning system. On an average summer day, the temperature can reach 88 degrees. When you combine the humidity with the heat, it feels a lot hotter. It is more comfortable to stay in your air-conditioned home on days like this than it is spending time outdoors. If your air conditioner breaks down, it will be very difficult to stay cool and comfortable.
The best way to prevent a complete air conditioner breakdown is to recognize the signs that you need AC repair service early. If you can recognize the signs early, you can prevent a small issue from becoming something major that would require an expensive repair.
#1 Thermostat Issues
The thermostat in your home is your HVAC system’s brain. It tells your system when to cool and heat your home. It also tells the system when to turn on and off and the desired temperature. If your thermostat isn’t functioning properly, your air conditioner won’t register the set commands. There are a few signs to let you know that your thermostat is failing.
- No power to the thermostat, even after you changed the batteries.
- The thermostat isn’t responding
- Nothing happens when you turn on the AC
- The air conditioner comes on and stays on even after your home has reached the desired temperature.
- The air conditioner cuts out before the desired temperature has been reached.
When you schedule an appointment for an AC repair service, the tech will inspect your thermostat. If they find that it has failed, you should discuss your options. Over the last several years, thermostat technology has improved. You can purchase a programmable thermostat, a Wi-Fi thermostat, or a smart thermostat. Each of these can help you save money and can make controlling your thermostat easier and more convenient.
#2 Warm Air Coming From the Vents
One of the most obvious signs you need to call a professional in AC repairs is if the air coming from the vents in your Charleston, SC home is warm. Before you call your local HVAC company, make sure your thermostat is set correctly. First, the thermostat needs to be set to the cooling mode. Next, make sure that the temperature in the house is warmer than the temperature setting. If the thermostat is set correctly, you should schedule an appointment for an AC repair service. There are a few issues that could be causing the problem.
- A faulty thermostat
- The Freon level is low
- There is an issue with the system’s compressor
- The AC has reached its maximum lifespan and needs to be replaced.
Because there are so many issues that could be causing this problem, you will need a professional in AC repairs to determine the source of the problem so the necessary repair can be made.
#3 Poor Airflow
If the airflow coming from the vents in your Charleston, SC, home is poor, it will be difficult for your home to reach the desired temperature. The system will need to work harder to keep your home cool, which can cause an increase in your energy bills. In addition, the excess strain on the system can reduce the system’s lifespan. There are a couple of issues that could be causing the issue.
- Clogged air ducts: You can clean your home daily, but dust, dirt, and other debris will still end up in your air ducts. When large amounts of debris accumulate in the air ducts, it can restrict the airflow. Also, when your AC is running, the debris will circulate in the air and affect your home’s air quality.
- Damage to the air ducts: If there is a crack in the air ducts, the cold air will escape through the crack, reducing the airflow coming from the vents.
- Damaged blower: Your AC system’s blower is responsible for pushing the cold air to the vents. If the blower is damaged or not functioning properly, you will have poor airflow.
When you schedule an appointment for an AC repair service, the tech will inspect your air ducts and the system to find the source of the problem.
#4 Strange Sounds
If the AC in your home is functioning properly, it should be relatively quiet. You may hear a soft clicking sound when the system kicks on and off and nothing more.
Strange sounds coming from the system signify an issue that would require AC repair service. The sounds often signify a loose or broken part. If you hear a high-pitched screaming, turn off the system immediately and call a professional in AC repairs. This sound indicates dangerously high pressure, and you shouldn’t use the AC until the problem has been resolved.
#5 Strange Smells
If you smell something strange when your air conditioner is running, you should schedule an appointment with an AC repair professional. The issue with the AC depends on the smell.
- Mold: A moldy smell could mean that there is mold growth in the air ducts. This is a serious issue because the mold spores will circulate through the air when the system is running. Breathing in mold spores can cause allergy symptoms, respiratory issues, and a weakened immune system. An AC repair professional can remove the mold using an antimicrobial fogger. There could also be mold in the system itself, which may require an AC replacement.
- Burning: If you smell something burning, turn off your air conditioner at once and call an AC repair professional. The smell is likely due to an electrical issue that can cause an electrical fire if you ignore the issue.
#6 Moisture Around the Unit
There should never be moisture or fluid pooling around your air conditioner. If there is, you should call an AC repair service immediately. You could have a loose or disconnected condensate hose, or the system could be leaking Freon, which is a serious issue.
It is best to schedule an appointment for an AC repair service as soon as you discover the moisture.
Why Choose Carney & Son 72 Degrees Air Conditioning and Heating?
If you need to schedule an appointment for AC repair service, schedule an appointment with Carney & Son 72 Degree Air Conditioning and Heating. We have over 30 years of experience in the HVAC industry and have an excellent reputation.
Each of our HVAC techs is professionally trained and passed a background check and a drug test. We want you to trust the person and their ability when you allow a tech into your home.
We have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and are a Screened and Approved Top Rated, and an Elite Service with Home Advisor.
To schedule an appointment for an AC repair service or any other HVAC service, give us a call today.
Photo By martan at Shutterstock