- HVAC professionals recommend duct cleaning as part of regular maintenance.
- A few signs indicate it’s time for a cleaning, such as excessive dust buildup, unusual smells, or increased allergens in the home.
- The benefits include improved indoor air quality, fire prevention, and reduced energy costs.
- The duct must be cleaned every few years to keep your home safe and comfortable.
For many people, home cleaning means tackling their home’s dusty corners and cleaning the windows. But duct cleaning is often overlooked.
Your ductwork circulates air throughout your house; over time, it can become filled with dust, pollen, and other allergens. This can not only make it harder for your HVAC system to do its job, but it can also impact your family’s health. Cleaning the ducts removes built-up dirt and debris and improves the efficiency of your system.
This blog post will look at the signs indicating that you need duct cleaning, the benefits of getting it done, and preparing for it!
Signs Your House Needs Duct Cleaning
While you may not need to have your ducts cleaned every year, it’s crucial to keep an eye on them & have them cleaned when necessary.
Look out for the following signs!
1. You Can See Visible Mold Growth on The Ductwork
Mold is dangerous to your health and should be removed immediately. If you see visible mold growth on the ductwork, it’s time to call in a professional for cleaning.
2. The Ductwork Is Infested with Pests
If you see evidence of pests in the ductwork, such as rodents or insects, it’s time to have the ducts cleaned. Pest infestation may contaminate the air with disease-causing bacteria.
3. It’s Clogged with Dust & Debris
If the ductwork is clogged, it won’t be able to circulate air properly. This leads to decreased efficiency & increased utility bills.
4. You Can Hear Sounds Coming from the Ductwork
If you hear strange noises from the ductwork, it’s probably due to a blockage. Professional duct cleaners can remove the blockage and quiet the noise.
5. Musty Smell Coming from the Vents
If the ductwork has a musty smell, it could be due to mold or mildew. This is a severe problem that should be addressed by a professional.
Benefits of Duct Cleaning
1. Extends the Life & Improves Efficiency of your HVAC System
Regular cleaning can help extend the life of your system & improves the efficiency of your system by removing harmful contaminants that can cause corrosion and other damage.
Related: 6 HVAC mistakes that are costing you money daily
2. Improves the Quality of Air
If someone at your house suffers from allergies or asthma, they may benefit from improved air quality. Cleaning can also remove musty odors from your home that may be caused by mold or other contaminants.
3. Prevent Fires from Starting in Your Home
An essential benefit of having your ducts cleaned is fire prevention. Lint and other debris can accumulate in your ductwork over time, and if it isn’t removed, it could create a severe fire hazard.
4. Reduces Energy Costs
When your HVAC system runs smoothly, it doesn’t have to work as hard to maintain a comfortable temperature in your home.
How Often Should Your Ducts Be Cleaned?
Most people don’t think about their ducts until there’s a problem. But since ductwork is an integral part of your home’s HVAC system, you should clean it regularly.
Depending on your home’s size & the number of visitors, you may need to have your ducts cleaned as often as once a year or as infrequently as every five years.
How Much Does It Cost?
If you’re thinking about duct cleaning costs, here’s your answer!
Prices can range from $0.20 to $0.40 per square foot, depending on the size and condition of your ducts. But this is just an average! The actual prices may vary depending on your situation.
How to Know If You’re Getting a Good Deal?
How to know if you’re getting a good deal? Here are a few things to consider!
- First, ask for a quote. Any company should be able to estimate how much it will cost to clean your air ducts.
- Second, compare prices and see which is the most affordable.
- Finally, don’t forget to ask about discounts or promotions that may be available. Many companies offer specials or deals on air cleaning services, so it’s always worth asking about them.
These tips will help you get the best price on air duct cleaning services. And that’s something everyone can appreciate.
Preparing for Your Duct Cleaning Appointment
1. Clear the Area Around Your Vents and Registers
To clean your ducts effectively, professionals will need access to all of them. Make sure to clear any furniture or other items blocking the vents and registers in your home. You may also want to remove any decorative covers from the vents so you can clean them separately.
2. Clean or Replace Your Air Filters
You should clean or replace your air filters at least once every three months, but doing so before your duct cleaning appointment can help the professionals do their job more effectively.
3. Schedule Your Duct Cleaning Appointment for a Time When You’ll Be Home
It’s best to be home when the professionals arrive to clean your ducts so you can answer any questions they may have. You should also be available to point out any areas of concern that you want them to focus on.
Preparing for your duct cleaning appointment doesn’t have to be a hassle. You need to take a few steps to ensure the process goes smoothly!
That’s all there is to it! Here are a few tips for your duct cleaning appointment for a smooth cleaning process. Cleaning is vital to maintaining a healthy and efficient HVAC system. By preparing for your appointment, you can help the professionals do their job more effectively.
Carney & Son 72 Degrees is a company that provides duct cleaning services for Daniel Island residents. Cleaning air ducts is a delicate job. Our HVAC experts use their skills and the latest technology to ensure the job is done correctly. We go the extra mile for our customers because we genuinely care about customer satisfaction and long-term relationships in the community.